Friday, August 21, 2009

Spinach Salad

I believe this recipe was probably published in the local newspaper in the early 70's. It's supposed to be from a well-known restaurant in town, The Firehouse, a restaurant that still enjoys steady business and a good reputation. My mother started making the salad in the 70s. It is one of my favorite salads, so I thought I'd share.

It is substantial enough to stand alone for a lunch. Or serve it with grilled chicken or pork for a more substantial meal. The curry powder in the dressing is very subtle, not overpowering, and there is a nice balance of flavors.


FIREHOUSE SPINACH SALAD
2 bunches fresh spinach
2/3 cup salad oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons white wine
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2-1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon pepper
6 slices bacon, diced and fried crisp
2 hardboiled eggs chopped fine
chopped green onion

Clean and dry spinach leaves thoroughly. Com- Combine
oil, vinegar, wine, soy sauce, sugar, mustard,
bine curry, salt, and pepper. Add bacon, eggs and
green onion to spinach in bowl. Toss with dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions you would like me to answer, please e-mail me. Otherwise, please check back on the post where you commented for any updates.